Dear Visitor, Welcome to the Signal Department!
It is a great honor for us to view our department's website!
Head of Department: Col. Károly Fekete Dr., PhD, Associate Professor
Office: H-1101 Budapest, Hungária krt. 9-11., Zrínyi Campus, Building „A” Room 802.,
Colonel Karoly Fekete graduated as signal officer at the Zalka Máté Military Technical College, Budapest, Hungary in 1982. He received master degree from S. M. Bugyennij Military Signal Academy St-Peterburg, Russia in 1989 and PhD degree from National Defence University, Budapest, Hungary in 2003, all in military signal engineering. The diplomas awarded are distinguished, honors and “summa cum laude”. In 2005 he won the Bolyai János Research Scholarship of Hungarian Academy of Sciences. He joined the Zrínyi Miklós National Defence University from 1995 and currently he is associate professor at the Signal Department of Ludovika - University of Public Service. He has served as the deputy dean of Faculty of Military Science and Officer Training a short period and is Head of Signal Department from 2010. He was Editor-in-Chief of the scientific journal of Bolyai Szemle. He has published more than 100 scientific publications and conference papers. His major research interest includes military strategic infocommunication and he has a strong background in IP based communication.
From 2003 he is a member of public body of Hungarian Academy of Sciences. He is a chairman of University group of Scientific Association for Infocommunication of IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) and member of Hungarian Associations of Military Sciences from 1997 and 1998 respectively. Dr. Fekete has received many awards, including Master Teacher Gold Medal of Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Puskas Tivadar Awards and two Gold Medals of Scientific Association for Infocommunication of IEEE, Diploma for Outstanding Scientific Research of Bolyai research Scholarship of Hungarian Academy of Sciences and 9 Military Orders. He has two advanced language exams: military interpreter in Russian and STANAG 18.104.22.168 in English. He has 40 years of military practice, 25 years of higher education experience, 14 years of leadership, 5 years experiences within foreign working language environment, and he has 2 years experiences in military missions.
About the Department
The Signal department has played and still plays a significant role in the field of signal officer training and the teaching of the up-to-date infocommunication professional skills for decades. One of the largest educational units of the Military Science and Officer Training Faculty, it proudly carries more than 75 years of tradition in signal officer training as well as the effects of digitalization in civilian infocommunication sector.
The Signal Department functions as a unique organisation, enabling a specific defence infocommunication intellectual workshop to operate in the ICT sector. It is not only a centre of military teaching and training on the area of military infocommunication systems, but also a determining research centre and scientific workshop of both national and regional significance – due to its intellectual potential and infrastructure.
The Signal Department places special emphasis on maintaining its foreign relations, which include relations and cooperation with our Hungarian and foreign counterparts (e.g. France, Poland, Slovak and Czech Republic, Romania, Turkey, the USA in 2010 - 2019 respectively) at both formal and informal levels.
The students, teachers and researchers of the Signal Department participate in a number of scientific conferences in Hungary and also abroad, and the Signal Department organizes two international scientific professional conferences every year: Communication and International Information Security. The Signal Department takes part in several exercises and trainings in Hungary and also abroad (e.g. COMMIT 2003-2013 - France) and ERASMUS+ projects (e.g. Poland, Slovak and Czech Republic, Romania, Kenya, USA). The staff of the Department takes part in different NATO and EUFOR events and missions. Participation in training and study tours is particularly advised as these occasions enable them to improve their professional skills and provide them with the opportunity to meet partners with different professional backgrounds within ICT domain.
Our department has modernly equipped classrooms, teaching rooms, built-in signal equipment and an IT training centre, which provide our students the opportunity to acquire the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge, to create the conditions for learning and research.
The Signal Department takes part in both the full-time and correspondence undergraduate and postgraduate training organized by the University of Public Service Ludovika and the Faculty, and also provides specialized course trainings and participates in the doctoral training.
The main purpose of the Signal Department is to provide the defence sector with training on the basis of the Qualification Output Requirements set by the Ministry of Defence, the Command of the Hungarian Defence Forces, the Ministry of Interior, the Disaster Management and other bodies and issued by the Government:
- Train infocommunication (telecommunication and information security) professionals in BA and MA level;
- Enable students to obtain a PhD degree in postgraduate training;
- Ensure the training of the handling- and operating staff of modern technical equipment systematized in the Hungarian Defence Forces.
The main tasks for the Signal Department are as follows:
- Training of infocommunication (telecommunications and information security) military specialists;
- Conducting supplementary research topics in the disciplines of doctoral training (PhD);
- Organization and implementation of professional knowledge supplementation, professional retraining and further training courses;
- Participation in national and international infocommunication exercises;
- Ensuring teacher and student mobility under the ERASMUS+ program;
- Organization of international and national scientific professional conferences;
- Professional cooperation with the Command of the Hungarian Defence Forces, the Ministry of Defence, and other professional organizations, as well as with Hungarian infocommunication companies, associations, scientific organizations;
- Cooperation with educational and scientific organizations of international higher education institutions.
The main fields of the Signal Department's scientific and research activities are the followings:
- Short- and medium-term development directions of the static and mobile infocommunication networks and digital systems of the Hungarian Defence Forces;
- Current and future technologies, tools and organizational issues of the infocommunication systems for possible battlefields and crisis management operations;
- Milestones in the everyday life of the information/digital society;
- New trends in critical infocommunication infrastructures;
- Current issues in public infocommunication infrastructure;
- Current issues in the domain of cyberspace, cybersecurity, threats, challenges and the technological, technical and regulatory aspects of defence in the defence and civil spheres;
- IoE, IoT, smart world;
- Autonomous software, software robots, AI;
- Common platform of the security technology and infocommunication domain, technological-technical background, information security questions;
- The present and the future of the information security.
The graduated students serve in the Ministry of Defence, and in the units of the Hungarian Defence Forces, where they perform command tasks, and together with the subordinate staff operating the technical equipment, perform the tasks of installation and operation of infocommunication networks.
We are proud of our achievements, which also require us to teach our students the most up-to-date knowledge possible.