Department of Aircraft and Engine
Dear Visitor, Welcome to the Department of Aircraft and Engine!
Col. Dr. László Kavas, Associate Professor
Head of Department
Colonel Kavas graduated from Killián György Flying Technical College in 1985 as an aviation engineering officer, and he started his military career as an instructor in the same Collage at Aircraft Maintenance and Repair Department. In 1994 he completed his studies at Technical University of Budapest, as certified mechanical engineer. In 2009 he obtained his PhD degree at Zrínyi Miklós National Defence University. His scientific activity covers the following areas: Evaluation of military aircraft, considering technical, technological and economical aspects. Theoretical possibilities and practical solutions of aircraft maintenance and repair methods in Hungarian Defence Forces.
Contacts: Office: H-5008 Kilián út 1.,Szolnok
Phone: (+36) 56-512536
The Department provides modern, high-level training for the future aviation technical officers who, after the prescribed the on-job training, are able to autonomously organise and control the maintenance processes of airplane and helicopter mechanical systems.
The educational task of the department is to provide high-level bachelor, master's and doctoral education for aircraft professionals, as well as further and retraining in the following education systems:
• Military Maintenance BSc, specialisations: military aerial technical, modul: aircraft and engine;
• State Aviation BSc, specialisations: State Aviation Pilot, Military Aerospace Control Officer, military aerial technical;
• Military Maintenance MSc, modul: air force;
• Theoretical education of aircraft and helicopter pilot candidates for NATO Flying Training Program in Canada (NFTC) training;
• Education of doctoral students of the Doctoral Schools of NUPS;
• Implementation of professional courses in accordance with the customer's expectations for the organisations of Hungarian Air Force and, if required, for civil aviation.
The basic goal of the educational activity is the higher professional training of aeronautical technicians with up-to-date knowledge, who, after obtaining the required professional experience, are able to:
• to organize and manage the activities of the sub-units performing the operation of modern aircraft and their systems;
• to make decisions necessary to maintain the operability of aircraft and a high level of aviation safety;
• to process, organize, manage and control;
• maintenance and repair processes to restore aircraft to working order.
• to perform technical insurance tasks for flights in both domestic and international environments;
• to continuously update their own professional theoretical and practical knowledge;
During the education, special attention is paid to supporting the acquisition of sufficient in-depth theoretical knowledge and developing the necessary practical skills.
In the field of scientific life, the lecturers and researchers of the department have the fundamental right and duty to carry out research work in addition to their educational activities and to publish their scientific results. Their research covers many areas of aviation, technical and human aspects of aviation safety, environmental protection and the economics of aircraft operations. The basic feature of this activity is public, therefore our lecturers report on the results of their scientific work at national and international forums, conferences and other events. An important and professionally important place for the publication of research results is the Aeronautical Science Bulletins, founded by the predecessor of the university.
Another important role of the lecturers working in the Department of Aircraft and Engine is the successful instruction of talented students in university education for scientific student conferences, as well as the education of doctoral students studying in the doctoral schools of the university.
The main directions of the scientific and research activities of the Department:
• Air force innovation and the co-operability of military aircraft of different designs; Applicability of VTOL / STOL, STEALTH aircraft, hypersonic and spacecraft
• Technical, technological and economic analysis of military aircraft; Theoretical possibilities and practical solutions of maintenance and repair methods relevant to HDF aircraft.
• Investigation of the optimum operating points of helicopter engines in terms of specific useful work and thermal efficiency.
• Investigation and simulation of the combustion chambers of gas turbine engines and the combustion process taking place in them
• Investigation of the applicability of each alternative fuel type in aviation and the widest possible exploration of their application conditions.
• Study of environmental and economic aspects related to the introduction and use of alternative fuels.
• Opportunities and directions for the modernization and development of competency-based education of aircraft technical officers.