Visa and residence

EU and EEA citizens

Citizens from the European Union and the European Economic Area (EEA)

"…have the right of residence for a period exceeding three months if they are enrolled at an educational establishment governed by the act on public education or the act on higher education, for the purpose of studying, ..."

according to the ‘Act I of 2007 on the Entry and Residence of Persons with the Right of Free Movement and Residence’.

For those who stay in the country for more than 90 days, registration is compulsory at the regional offices of the Office of Immigration and National Services.


Third country nationals

Citizens from Non-EU (European Union) and Non-EEA (European Economic Area) countries have to apply for a long-term visa or residence permit before their arrival.

International students are highly recommended to consult the relevant authorities at least 2 months before the beginning of their studies. Upon receipt of the Invitation Letter/ Letter of Acceptance from the University, students from non-EEA countries must hand in their demand on residence permit for the purpose of studies at the Hungarian Embassy in their home country. In case of successful application, the students obtain a visa authorizing them to a single entry for receiving the residence permit and to stay for maximum 30 days in Hungary. The decision on the residence permit falls within the scope of the regional directorates of the Immigration and Asylum Office . The students must visit the Immigration and Asylum Office and obtain their residence permit within 30 days from the day of entry.

All non-EEA nationals must, at all times during their stay and studies here, have a valid residence permit allowing them to study in Hungary. Those international students who are staying at Ludovika-UPS for a longer period of time are obliged to have the residence permit renewed before it expires. Please note that renewal of the residence permit must be started at least 60 days before it expires.

For a new residence permit you need to have:

  • a valid passport
  • two passport photos (you can use a photo machine in the office as well)
  • the certificate of admittance of the educational institute or any other document certifying the legal relationship of the student with the institute
  • an official language certificate/language exam
  • bank account/statement for proof of sufficient funds
  • proof of student accommodation (from the university dormitory)/tenancy agreement or contract
  • a valid health insurance at least for the period of your studies


For all students

All international students are also responsible for registering their housing address at the regional directorate competent for the place of residence. In general, all international students have to notify the authorities about their place of residence soon after arrival and within 3 days after any changes take place.


Further information

More information can be found on the website of the Ministry of Trade and Foreign Affairs or at the Embassies and Consulates of Hungary based in your home country.

Please check the current legislation and procedures on the website of the Immigration and Asylum Office.  

You can also get help from the Hungarian Country Office of the International Organization for Migration.
Alternatively, you can get familiar with the work of IOM via social media.

The Migration Information Desk (MID), operated jointly by the the Municipality of Budapest in close partnership with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) can further aid the process of incoming students. You can find more information here.