About the Doctoral School
As head of the Doctoral School of Military Engineering I wish to welcome you to our site.
Pursuant to Resolution 2002/2/III. of the Hungarian Accreditation Committee (MAB) Zrínyi Miklós National Defence University and its legal successor the National University of Public Service is entitled to conduct doctoral programs, to award doctoral degrees, and carry out habilitation procedures in the field of military engineering.
Accordingly, the doctoral program, the awarding of doctoral degrees and the habilitation procedure began at the Doctoral School of Military Engineering (KMDI) in September 2002.
Prof. Dr. György Kende
Head of the Doctoral School of Military Engineering
Objectives, tasks and role of KMDI in international science
The main objectives of our doctoral school can be summed up in the following points:
- To provide high-quality education of our doctoral students, educating them through research to become the next generation of the educational and research elite, primarily for university faculties of military engineering sciences;
- To educate a research elite to satisfy user and market demands (short and long-term), especially to carry out high quality military technology developer, organizer and senior operator tasks in military technical research at national and NATO levels, and for non-military organisations associated with the research areas of military engineering sciences;
- To increase the educational and research performance of the school and its academic staff effectively, the regular publication of its own new research results in the most prestigious domestic and international scientific journals, conferences;
- To produce research findings measurable through international comparison both by lecturers (supervisors) and PhD students;
- To create research workshops for elite training and for the successful development of excellence;
- To ensure excellent, high quality organization and management of education and research with special regard to increasing efficiency (providing everyone with access to information and infrastructure, to make them more effective and utilized), to the creation of publicity (visiting members, instructors, opponents, critics), and to strict compliance with science ethics.
The role of military engineering sciences
On first approximation the role of the new branch of the doctoral school can be determined of the basis of the related military and engineering sciences. Accordingly, military sciences can be determined as a discipline that creates new scientific research findings, satisfying the needs of military users, with the procedures and tools of technical sciences. Their research findings are manifested in new, modern procedures and tools of military technology and the defence sphere in the broadest sense, and the related fields of science and use. About the international affiliation of the doctoral school: we maintain close relations with foreign universities and research institutes, with certain organizations of NATO, in the framework of extensive education and research cooperation.
Military engineering sciences include all disciplines of technical, disciplinary, technological, technology transfer and technical innovations related to the military application of all other engineering disciplines belonging to engineering sciences.
The holder of a doctoral degree (diploma) has a good chance of competing for senior management, teaching and research positions both in public and private sectors in a wide variety of fields.
Our research areas
1. Military Engineering Infrastuctures
2. Military Technology and Robotics
3. Defence Electronics, ICT
4. Environmental Security and Disaster Management
5. Military Logistics and Defence Economy
6. Security Technology
7. Disaster Management
The above fields of research of KMDI are directly built on the MSc programs / specializations accredited by the Faculty at the MAB, thus achieving the perfect unity of the entire chain of BSc > MSc > PhD.