Research at NUPS
The National University of Public Service not only provides training opportunities at all levels related to the different fields of public service, but is also committed to conduct high level academic research.
Beside the doctoral schools, the research centres of the University are the drivers of research and innovation at NUPS. The Institute for Research and Development on State and Governance has a special status as an inter-faculty institute coordinating and supporting the complex, transdisciplinary research efforts of the various faculties, departments and institutions of the University according to the research strategy of NUPS. Based on the unity of research and curriculum development, the research activities are carried out at the various departments of the faculties.
The research centres of NUPS are focusing on different areas. Embedded into the Faculty of Sciences of Public Governance and Administration, the Thomas Molnar Institute for Advanced Studies conducts research related to public service training and the management of decision-making processes, while the Local Governments' Research Centre is focusing sustainable local governments and the realisation of good-governance. The Chinese Public Administration, Economy and Society Research Centre has a special research area reflected by its name, operating at the Faculty of International and European Studies. While the previously mentioned centres are connected to faculties, the Institute of Strategic and Defense Studies acts as an inter-Faculty unit and is mostly engaged in activities related to security and defence policy.
The research priorities of the National University of Public Service are:
- focusing on developing state efficiency indicators related to state reform priorities (defence, public safety, justice system, corporate competitiveness, tax bureaucracy), following the methodology of the Good State and Governance Report;
- strengthening the position of the discipline of governance studies and comparative governance studies;
- developing a knowledge centre concerning local governance, local democracy and local development strategies;
- conducting research on E-government services and cyber-security with a focus on IT development;
- conducting research on sustainable development with an emphasis on water governance, climate change, food security, social capital, culture of sustainable living;
- elaborating a comprehensive system of indicators and evaluations mechanism for the measurement of the defence sector’s efficiency, and a set of indicators and evaluations mechanism for the state’s capacities in the area of public safety, law enforcement, and legal certainty;
- conducting research on military science and technology in service of the national defence.